Prince’s Death Reveals What’s Wrong with Addiction Treatment
Submission Date: June 2nd, 2016
Attributing Author: Zachary Siegel
Source: THE DAILY BEAST
By now you’ve read all the “I told you so’s.”
After weeks of speculation into the details of Prince’s death, and media liberally quoting defense attorneys and anonymous sources, the worst has been realized. Prince died of an accidental overdose of fentanyl, a powerful painkiller many times more potent than heroin.
Painkillers like OxyContin are measured by the milligram, but fentanyl is so strong that it is measured in micrograms. For some perspective, if a few grains of salt were fentanyl, that amount would be lethal if swallowed. Typically, it is only prescribed if a patient becomes opioid tolerant to the point other drugs no longer work. It has yet to be confirmed whether or not Prince was prescribed the fentanyl.