What We Can Learn From Celebrity Overdoses
Submission Date: April 3, 2013
Attributing Author: Tessie Castillo
Source: The Huffington Post
Recently rapper Lil’ Wayne was discharged after a six day hospital admission in Los Angeles, where he was reportedly recovering from an overdose of sizzurp — a cocktail of prescription cough syrup, soda, and flavored candy. The Young Money star is the latest in a string of high-profile overdoses involving prescription drugs. But while tragic, celebrity overdose might help raise awareness about the dangers of prescription misuse and ignite the push for drug policy reform.
Case in point, last November Jon Bon Jovi’s daughter, Stephanie Bongiovi, overdosed on heroin in her college dorm room in upstate New York. When a friend called 911 to summon an ambulance, police arrived and arrested Stephanie and the caller. Both were charged with criminal possession of a controlled substance and other drug crimes. The story made national news, but so did the fact that under New York law, neither of them should have been charged.